Chocolate and Berry-Covered Meringue
This recipe from Cooking Light will satisfy your sweet tooth and is low in calories with no cholesterol!
- 4 large egg whites
- Dash of salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 teaspoons water
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- Mint sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- To prepare meringue, cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw a 9-inch circle on the paper. Turn paper over; secure to baking sheet with masking tape. Place egg whites and salt in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add juice and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Add 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon egg white mixture into 9-inch circle on prepared baking sheet. Shape meringue into a nest with 1-inch sides using the back of a spoon. Bake at 200 degrees for 1 hour. Turn oven off; cool meringue in closed oven for 30 minutes. Carefully remove meringue from paper.
- To prepare topping, place chocolate and water in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at high 1 minute or until chocolate melts, stirring every 20 seconds.
- Arrange berries on top of meringue; drizzle with chocolate sauce. Garnish with mint sprigs, if desired.
Makes 8 servings. Each serving contains 142 calories, 2 g fat, 3 g fiber, 67 mg sodium.