Published on June 15, 2020
Fig and Hazelnut Chicken Salad
Use leftover cooked chicken and this delicious salad is a snap to put together.
Makes 4 servings.
- 8 ounces fresh figs, quartered
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 8 ounces roasted or grilled boneless, skinless chicken, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 6 cups mixed greens
- Toss quartered figs with the vinegar in a large salad bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.Meanwhile, toast hazelnuts in a dry skillet over medium heat until they are aromatic and beginning to darken, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Sprinkle the figs with salt and pepper. Add the oregano, olive oil, celery, onion, and chicken; toss to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. (The salad can be made ahead to this point and refrigerated for up to an hour.)
- To serve, divide the greens evenly among 4 plates and top each with a scoop of the fig-chicken mixture. Garnish with the toasted hazelnuts.